Friday, February 2, 2018

All I Want is a Room Somewhere by Carol (Ki’ihele) West

When I first met the man I was to marry he was, more or less, camping in a friend’s house with a coat closet for his “things.”  When he opened the door of this overstuffed closet, he was likely to have an armful of falling debris. I thought it was just a guy thing, and paid it little mind.
After a few months of dating,  we moved into a house with a garage on O’ahu.  Soon the garage no longer had room to hold the cars as he had filled it with engines, transmissions, car parts, tools, boats, sails, and anything that happened to catch his eye. I didn’t, at the time, realize that this propensity would take over my life.
We soon moved to the island of Maui and had a big yard that began filling up with, to me, junk. To him, they were all things that would eventually be “useful objects.”  After we got married, we wanted to build a home of our own, so we moved to the island of Hawai’i where land was still inexpensive. Thinking we would be able to start with a nice clear acre of trees and ferns, I packed just a few of my few things. He packed up the entire back yard!
Our home was small but sweet. My husband worked at home rebuilding cars and building boats and I went to work. Our family grew ~ we had two boys who didn’t seem to mind the junk in the yard – it was what they were used to.  But, all I wanted was “a room somewhere” far away from the junk that surrounded our home.
It took a long time for my husband to fill that acre and then, without my knowledge, he bought a second acre. Against my protestations he proceeded to fill the second acre and I finally began to realize he had what is now called a hoarding disorder.
Through all of this, the house remained my uncluttered domain until one day my husband moved a huge desk from the upstairs into the living/kitchen area and began stacking things on it.
Soon, I had to squeeze myself through the yard (I could no longer park on the lot), and had to bang on the door to get in, as I could no longer open it from the outside.  I felt violated.
Promises … promises … no action! … After 30 years of marriage, I could no longer tolerate living on such a beautiful island in what the county had now designated an illegal junkyard.  I finally asked for a divorce.
Endings and Beginnings … I didn’t want the house, but did get the second acre of land.   With my savings, I was able to build a little home.   The cottage is all mine, even though I still have a credit card debt to pay off.  It took me a long time to even put furniture in the house.  I needed open space, wanted clear floors, and yearned to feel the breeze blowing through all the windows with nothing to impede its flow.
I slept on a cot with my cats and felt free. In time, I did buy the necessary bed, chairs, and a table. I planted hibiscus and plumeria, fern trees and papaya and now have a lovely garden – never taking my surroundings for granted.
Today, my home is once again a magical place. I am joyful, at peace and rejuvenated.  I marvel at the fragrances in the air, feel every flutter of wind, and go to sleep with the sounds of the coqui singing in the night and the waves hitting against the cliffs.  It is just “loverly”!
“All I want is a room somewhere,  far away from the cold night air
With one enormous chair. Oh, wouldn’t it be loverly?
Lots of chocolate for me to eat. Lots of coal makin’ lots of heat
Warm face, warm hands, warm feet. Oh, wouldn’t it be loverly?
Oh, so lovely sittin’ abso-bloomin’-lutely still.
I would never budge till spring crept over the window sill.
Oh, wouldn’t it be loverly!
Loverly, loverly, loverly
Wouldn’t it be loverly!”
My Fair Lady – “Wouldn’t it be Loverly?” 
By Lerner and Loewe

Bio – Carol (Ki’ihele) West
I sailed to Hawaii with my family on a 40ft. sailboat at age 18. I had spent the summer on O’ahu the year before and had fallen in love with the islands. I’m still in love with the islands after 51 years.

I went to college at age 30 and earned my RN degree, but found I didn’t like nursing so I found another job in the health field and worked as a Chiropractic Asst. for 24 years. I had flexible hours and was able to be off on Tues. and Thurs. afternoons which allowed me to take my two sons to their soccer and baseball practices and the weekends free to attend their games.

But, I found it increasing difficult to be at home among all the junk so decided to take a hula class to get me out of the house. One class soon developed into twice a week and kept me sane.

Metamorphosis Your Stories

It became a passion  for me and when the boys moved away for college, I began to pursue hula seriously, dancing and teaching four times a week. I made all the costumes for my hula halau’s performances. Sewing was something I have always enjoyed doing. I had made my own clothes and those of my son’s and husbands for years. When I retired at 65,  I finished my cottage and then I needed an outlet,  so I opened an Etsy shop sewing hula skirts, tops, shirts, etc. 
for hula. 

I have had my business for 15 months and have had a steady clientele.  I put a lot of aloha into my creations and love the fact that I am, in a small way, helping to perpetuate hula.    Do you know someone who dances hula or just loves Hawai’i?   Then, e komo mai–come in, kick off your shoes and browse through my shop of hula pa’u (skirts), tops, shirts and Hawaiian fabric gifts, handmade in Hawai’i with aloha.
                                                       Ki’ihele


Metamorphosis Your Stories 

No comments:

Post a Comment

MY PATH OF COLLABORATING WITH GAIA by Zing Nafzinger, M.A.

    Holding onto my stick of a wand, I lead the multi-aged gaggle along the edge of the bare woods. Our brown boots stomp into the damp gree...