Monday, February 26, 2018

Teaching as a Way of Living! by Jane Keil Yoder

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." 
William Butler Yeats    
                                 
Teaching is a Way of Living!  To Teach is to touch a life forever! Teachers change the world one child at a time!


Yes, I was one of the lucky ones who found a satisfying and fulfilling career that I loved—teaching!  When I found my purpose, it was the beginning of my metamorphosis.

I taught grades Kindergarten through Seventh over a 30-year period.  Although fifth grade ended up being my favorite age to teach, each grade level was a gift, offering me the opportunity to interact with children at various stages of their development.  I like thinking that I helped shape young people’s lives in positive ways and in turn they did the same for me.
 
As a teacher to children from diverse backgrounds, ethnicities, socio-economics, learning styles, and capabilities - each year brought new challenges, and, often, tremendous success in reaching and educating each child wherever he or she was.  

I always treated the children in my classes with respect, honoring their strengths and weaknesses, teaching them to respect and honor themselves and others. I encouraged my students to be their best and do their best, and not to be afraid.  If a lesson or subject matter appeared too difficult, I was always willing to assist my kids or I would find someone who could, if it was a subject area that I didn't feel proficient in. 

Some classes were more challenging than others due to a mixture of personalities and learning curves. When faced with this, I knew I had to do something for myself to prepare me to face each day with more confidence. To get ready for the day ahead, each morning I practiced meditation and recited affirmations to set me on my way.
  
After some years, I introduced the recitation of affirmations in my classrooms which proved to be extremely beneficial for the children.  And, I taught my students the art of journaling as a way for them to express themselves, especially when they were experiencing challenges. I encouraged the students to try other creative outlets as well ... such as art, music, drama, creative writing, and even playing games.
 
At the end of every school year, while looking at a class list, I would write down something positive about each student, something that I did for each of them, and finally something that I gained from each student.  This was always a wonderful exercise for me in clearing the year’s slate and using the information as a jumping off point for the next school year.  What a treasure trove of memories that created for me!

Even though I am happily retired, I still meditate and journal daily.  I use affirmations when I feel the need to. Art, music, photography, spending time in nature, and movement are also important creative outlets for me.  

And, I am happy to say that teaching is still very much a part of my life! I have been a mentor for high school students for the last several years and I continue to encourage students to be the best they can be, to work hard, and I tell them they are exceptional people. It is a part of who I Am - a teacher with a loving purpose.

I like relating with my former students in a different capacity now ... adult to adult.  Sometimes they ask for personal or professional advice, letters of recommendation, and show interest in what’s happening in my life since I retired.  Many still call me “Ms. Keil” and talk about what they remember about the year when I was their teacher.  Some of my students even remember that I collected pig things and had them all over the classroom.

Teaching was more than a career for me, it was who I was then and am now.  I am truly grateful for all the intrinsic gifts I received from each of the children who graced me with their presence in my classroom and on my life’s path.  Yes, to teach is to touch a life forever and teaching is a wonderful way of living!

Bio - Jane Keil Yoder 



Jane is a retired teacher who is happily married and lives in Sarasota, FL.  She enjoys spending time with her husband John, cat (Roger), friends, and family.  Jane is a member of two weekly writing groups and a monthly art group. 

For seven years, Jane has been a mentor with Take Stock in Children (TSIC) and a big sister with the BBBS organization.  She also volunteers in a friend’s classroom once a month.  Jane will always care deeply about the welfare of all children!

Jane loves spending time in nature, kayaking, traveling, reading, participating in various artistic ventures, photography, and finding treasures at consignment stores.  




"There are few roles in society that rival the importance of a great teacher. Stars in any field - music, athletics, engineering, medicine,   - have an army of teachers to thank for teaching them the skills and values that currently allow them to be successful. Teachers are the builders of society - we build people - we build and develop future generations. There is no more important profession." Glenn Geher, Ph.D. ... excerpt from article found in Psychology Today


Metamorphosis Your Stories

Essence of Laurel





No comments:

Post a Comment

MY PATH OF COLLABORATING WITH GAIA by Zing Nafzinger, M.A.

    Holding onto my stick of a wand, I lead the multi-aged gaggle along the edge of the bare woods. Our brown boots stomp into the damp gree...